Switch out bullets?

Kurt

Switch out bullets?

Post by Kurt »

Hello again. I have some WCC 57 head stamped 7.62X51 ammo with FMJ bullet. I want to switch out for a 150-grain soft point for hunting. I haven't pulled any bullets on these but I'm assuming they are 147 grain. How was this ammunition loaded as far as powder charge? Are they close to maxed out? I ask because of the added 3 grains of the SP bullet and the probable ogive difference I plan on replacing them with? Thank you for the help. The rifle is a modern sporting rifle in 308 WIN.
Kurt

Re: Switch out bullets?

Post by Kurt »

I decided 3 grains in bullet weight couldn't be significant so I tested a few and all was fine. No pressure signs. Sometimes I get too cautious. Thanks.
DaleH

Post by DaleH »

Haha, people used to do that for Match shooting and they called it the ‘Mexican match’.

And yes, 3 grains would not do anything, as you’re likely to get a 1-1/2 grain deviation, if not more between the bullets already.

Glad it worked for you! Now go tag one!
Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tommy Atkins »

A general rule of thumb is to use the same charge weight for all bullets of a similar shape & weight.
Shape matters because the bearing surface may be longer than a spitzer type & this can increase pressure.
with 7,000 Gr to a pound 3 is a pittance of change!
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Thanks for the replies. They shot pretty well. I almost got MOA but my skill level kicked in and wrecked it.
Quavodus

Post by Quavodus »

DaleH wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:53 pm Haha, people used to do that for Match shooting and they called it the ‘Mexican match’.

And yes, 3 grains would not do anything, as you’re likely to get a 1-1/2 grain deviation, if not more between the bullets already.

Glad it worked for you! Now go tag one!
Yeah, I was about to post same thing.
Quavodus

Post by Quavodus »

Kurt wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:41 am Thanks for the replies. They shot pretty well. I almost got MOA but my skill level kicked in and wrecked it.
Glad it worked good. Also a great way to use up some surplus ammo. Surplus ammo importers used to do this. I got some steel cased 7.62x54r that has 150 gr. Spire Points seated in it. Looks just like Hornady 150 gr. .308 diameter. Does not shoot the best in the larger bore either.

Return to “Reloading”