Italian Vetterli Carcano. Removal of stuck case?

KneverKnew

Italian Vetterli Carcano. Removal of stuck case?

Post by KneverKnew »

I recently purchased a barreled receiver on GB for just $25. This was in an attempt to turn my rusted out and pitted Vetterli Carcano into a decent shooter. I figured for $25 this “new” barreled receiver couldn’t possibly be worse, right!
Well it arrived and it looked worlds better than mine. It even still had its original bluing. Looking down the bore there were some frosting spots in the grooves but rifling was pretty good.
I swapped out the barrels and went to test chamber a round. It only went in about an inch. I had not seen any obstructions in chamber so was at a loss. I pulled out my spectacles and upon closer inspection discovered there is a brass case that has been welded to the chamber walls from a previous case failure at some point. So, now I know why it only cost $25. LOL.
I’m not interested in buying a chamber reamer for this project.

Does anyone have other ideas that may help remove this stuck case from the chamber? Thanks for any help.
Cattus Borealis

Re: Italian Vetterli Carcano. Removal of stuck case?

Post by Cattus Borealis »

Soak the chamber area with Kroil for a couple of days. Run a lead slug down the barrel from the muzzle down to the chamber. This might knock out the remains of the case.
KneverKnew

Re: Italian Vetterli Carcano. Removal of stuck case?

Post by KneverKnew »

Closer inspection has revealed that this is not a stuck case with a damaged chamber, possibly from a catastrophic failure in the past. Not sure if it is salvageable.

Return to “Italian Rifles”