Stock cleaning advice needed 9 nov 2014 repost

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Stock cleaning advice needed 9 nov 2014 repost

Post by 72 usmc »

Here is the old Candyman post on stock cleaning and comments from 9 Nov. 2019 that had some great information. I have provided the Wayback Machine link from 19 March 2015. This was the only time it was saved.
page 1 https://web.archive.org/web/20150319032 ... 3&t=140094
page 2 https://web.archive.org/web/20150319051 ... 4&start=15

What-is-the-best-way-to-clean-the-wooden-stocks-without-ruining-the-rifles-value
added 7 April 2021 here are seven pages of more ideas from GB post :
https://www.gunboards.com/threads/what- ... 505/page-2

And the best source
Cabinetman's posts on Parallax Bills, He is as good as our former now gone Candyman. Both are experts on stocks going back to 1998. see https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paralla ... 16589.html

The main stock Cleaning section on Parallax is here read Cabinetman> https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paralla ... ning-f101/

Here is page one, page two has no important comments. It can be read in the above Wayback Machine link. Active links back to original references are added in blue. These are in the old forum, hence they are Wayback machine links.

Stock cleaning advice needed RESTORATION OF ORIGINAL PAGE 1; 2 March 2020 by 72 usmc
Moderator: candyman

[ 19 posts ]
ghostdevilguy
Post subject: Stock cleaning advice neededPostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:01 pm
Mil-Surp Shooter
Is there a way to clean a rifle stock without sanding or using a stripper. I have two turkish mausers that I would like to clean up, but I do not want to remove any of the dings, scratches, or markings. could someone give me a point in the right direction?

Top Profile

R.L.E.V.M.
Post subject: Re: Stock cleaning advice neededPostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:10 pm
Benefactor
For getting off the stubborn surface crud , I like Denatured Alcohol. :thumb: Use small amounts working small areas at a time. The surface and sub-surface will need some sort of oil for protection and appearance. You will find a majority of us recommend "Boiled Linseed Oil". It's more fun then it sounds. :mrgreen: Many Turkish Mausers may retain cosmoline and dirt inside the stock. You can remove it in much the same way and follow with the oil there also. Not quite as much fun. :doh:

Top Profile

BobVZ
Post subject: Re: Stock cleaning advice neededPostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:22 pm
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
I'd start with a good rub down with mineral spirits. That will not harm any finish but will dissolve and remove a lot of surface oil. Next, apply dry heat to the stock a section at a time until deep oils ooze up and to the surface. Immediately wipe off with a paper towel. When you are not getting a significant amount of oil coming out, stop and let the stock "rest" a few days. This will allow deeper oil to move into the areas that you treated. Then repeat the heat process. After a second treatment, let the stock cool and wipe down with mineral spirits. After it drys, apply boiled linseed oil.

Top Profile

shoot4fun
Post subject: Re: Stock cleaning advice neededPostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:12 pm
Benefactor
BobVZ wrote:
I'd start with a good rub down with mineral spirits. That will not harm any finish but will dissolve and remove a lot of surface oil. Next, apply dry heat to the stock a section at a time until deep oils ooze up and to the surface. Immediately wipe off with a paper towel. When you are not getting a significant amount of oil coming out, stop and let the stock "rest" a few days. This will allow deeper oil to move into the areas that you treated. Then repeat the heat process. After a second treatment, let the stock cool and wipe down with mineral spirits. After it drys, apply boiled linseed oil.

I pretty much do this, but use a black trash bag with the stock wrapped in paper towels or in unscented kitty litter. I'll set it in the rear deck or dashboard of my car and let wipe it down with mineral spirits a couple times a day if I'm in a hurry. Do that for a couple !e days until no more cosmolime oozes. This time of the year, that doesn't work, so I'll use some variation on the easy bake oven for some slow and low heat. Clean it with mineral spirits and my preference is to use pure tung oil, but boiled linseed oil works well too and is easier as well as cheaper to obtain.

Top Profile

candyman
Post subject: Re: Stock cleaning advice neededPostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:25 pm

There is a lot of info here.
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=136046
https://web.archive.org/web/20150319043 ... 3&t=136046

I do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Semper Fi

Top Profile

felixmophandle
Post subject: Re: Stock cleaning advice neededPostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:52 pm
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Here is one thing I did find out. Cheap denatured alcohol is watered down.(ie home depot/lowes) I found this out after reading a article on "shellac.com" when I was ordering shellac flakes. I purchased Graves grain alcohol when I cut my shellac for a project a few years back. I had some leftover and found it cleaned things up much better than the DNA for may last project (no.I wasn't drinking it when I came to this conclusion).The DNA they sell at places like Wood workers Warehouse is a higher grade product if you want to go that route. My local package store is .6 miles away,that's why I opted for the Graves.....Larry

Top Profile

72 usmc
Post subject: Re: Stock cleaning advice neededPostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:23 pm
Benefactor
How about some pictures of these stocks??? are they that bad? or just nice patina??? You do not want an original surplus rifle with patina looking like a pimp stock.
see these comments of others and 72 usmc lots of Candyman and USMC food for thought:

This should give you some reading material and use of the toner cartridge #-o #-o :arrow: printing out what you might need.

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=132075&hilit=stock+cleaning
https://web.archive.org/web/20150419010 ... k+cleaning

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=125053&hilit=+mauser+stock
https://web.archive.org/web/20150418192 ... user+stock

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=129457&hilit=+refinish+a+rc
https://web.archive.org/web/20150419010 ... inish+a+rc

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=132127&hilit=stock+cleaning
https://web.archive.org/web/20150418232 ... k+cleaning

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=129941&hilit=stock+cleaning

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=118962&hilit=stock+cleaning
https://web.archive.org/web/20150418232 ... k+cleaning

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=112925&hilit=stock+cleaning

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=108456&hilit=stock+cleaning
https://web.archive.org/web/20150418191 ... k+cleaning

Top Profile

ghostdevilguy
Post subject: Re: Stock cleaning advice neededPostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:24 am
Mil-Surp Shooter
Thanks for all of the advice, I will post some pictures of the stocks in a few, before I do anything. I have to take some pictures first.

Top Profile

ghostdevilguy
Post subject: Re: Stock cleaning advice neededPostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:53 am
Mil-Surp Shooter
here they are.
Attachments:
IMAG0016.jpg
IMAG0016.jpg (52.71 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
IMAG0017.jpg
IMAG0017.jpg (51.78 KiB) Viewed 1232 times

Top Profile

72 usmc
Post subject: Re: Stock cleaning advice neededPostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:33 am
Benefactor
:thumb: from what I can see those stocks look outstanding. Nice original patina ? , a history of wood and its handling marks from day 1 till you were lucky enough to get those treasures. I would have to have some marco close up views to let you know if they are refinished. But from far and if original then :think: No crazy refinish. So just do a light, and I mean very light conditioning. I would not even call it cleaning. Those are some fantastic Turks :o :o Those stocks scream history.... :happy-wavemulticolor:

Quote:
also would leave as is, especially if you plan to sell it. Of course, an original finish stock is worth a heck of a lot more than some refinished shiny pimp stock. But, if you must clean please consider these fine antique wood products:
First to just lightly clean use a high quality Howards orange oil ( NOT LEMON OIL ) or Kotton Klenser brand "Protective Wood feeder". You are feeding natural oils back into an original stock, not really scrubbing the stock, and some of the grim may come off. Second, A drastic cleaner is Kotton Klenser "cleaner " that actually removes the surface grime with some of the finish. Best if some nut got paint on a stock. This is a last resort and care must be given to not remove too much of the original finish. Most use this product on old clocks or antique furniture. I like the original stock where the handling marks are visible and you can see where the hand held the rifle on the butt or forestock from the wear patterns from years of handling grim and sweat. You can tell a cleaning redo because small dents are filled with color, or the scratches filled and a stock has a uniform finish.

Here are some close ups of a common Turk stock original as found. No refinish. Remember the turks wiped any oil, dirty motor oil to condition stocks. Then they got the cosmo goo as surplus so these old boys have some history. Some will weep cosmo oil when they get hot for weeks. So this is what I consider a nice stock condition, others refinish :doh: :doh: :snooty:

IMG_8629_zps49a930ca.jpg
IMG_8631_zpsd3a4cfa1.jpg
IMG_8630_zps868c2df2.jpg
If yours are as nice with historical patina I would leave them alone and give them a light condition wipe with Howards oil. That's my :twocents-mytwocents:
I think more people would raather have the original finish rather than an over cleaned, or newly refinished stock. I do not even buy refinished garbage unless I have an original stock to put it back into
:lol: :lol:

Top Profile

felixmophandle
Post subject: Re: Stock cleaning advice neededPostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:31 pm
Mil-Surp Psychosis
I took a look at your photos this morning. I agree whole heartedly that your stocks are in good shape. I took out my k.kale and my 88/05/38 to compare them. Hit the with stocks with some heat (your wifes hair dryer) wipe off what cosmo comes out and give them the Candymans BLO scrub. The bores on 99% of these rifles are in great shape and shoot very well to say the least...Larry

Top Profile

ghostdevilguy
Post subject: Re: Stock cleaning advice neededPostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:45 pm
Mil-Surp Shooter
felixmophandle wrote:
I took a look at your photos this morning. I agree whole heartedly that your stocks are in good shape. I took out my k.kale and my 88/05/38 to compare them. Hit the with stocks with some heat (your wifes hair dryer) wipe off what cosmo comes out and give them the Candymans BLO scrub. The bores on 99% of these rifles are in great shape and shoot very well to say the least...Larry

I am not married, but I do have a hairdryer for some reason.... :lol: It comes in handy with cosmoline cleanup.

Top Profile

FriedSpam
Post subject: Re: Stock cleaning advice neededPostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:43 pm
Benefactor
felixmophandle wrote:

That wouldn't happen to be that matching KKale I sold you several years back and still wish I hadn't?
Mike

Top Profile

felixmophandle
Post subject: Re: Stock cleaning advice neededPostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:35 pm
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Yes Mike it is. It has become a favorite shooting iron and she is well cared for.I brought it to camp in ME this year and gave her a good workout. It would have made you proud...LOL.....Larry

Top Profile

candyman
Post subject: Re: Stock cleaning advice neededPostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:55 am
Mike. Didn't I buy a few Turks from you?

Remember that patina is the color of the surface of the wood. In other words, the aged surface of the stock. Oil dirt and grime is not patina, just crud.
I hate the use of the word "Original" when talking about the finish on a old gun. It left the factory with an original finish. If it was issued, it got cleaned and re-oiled several times during it's life in service.
The word to use should be "Correct" when talking about the finish.
Just be sure not to over do it when cleaning.
For those that wish to remove the crud but still want that look where the wood grain is filled, here are two tips.
After you have cleaned and oiled the stock apply a thin hand rubbed coat of BLO. Let is stand till it gets sticky. then use a lint free rag and rub it down till it is no longer sticky. This is a lot of work, but worth it.
You can also mix fine sanding dust to BLO and use it to do your last hand rubbed coats. The sanding dust will help fill the grain, but you will need to buff cross grain with a soft cloth to keep more dust in the grain.

I do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Semper Fi

Page 2 not important
Last edited by 72 usmc on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:37 am, edited 16 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: Stock cleaning advice needed 9 nov 2014 repost

Post by 72 usmc »

Also see the new post on stock cleaning. Oil scrub stock cleaning

Post by 72 usmc » Sat Feb 22, 2020. Here is the link to Tom's 1/3 Wax video of an oil scrub cleaning & some of my comments.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.org/viewto ... =61&t=3903

Photos restored after the 4 June 2020 server switch on 1 July 2020
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: Stock cleaning advice needed 9 nov 2014 repost

Post by 72 usmc »

Cabinetman's 8 pages of more ideas to clean a stock:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paralla ... 16589.html

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”